The History behind Toldboden
Special exhibits of an historical nature are shown at the
Customs House on Strandgade (Beach Street) next to the rear of
The Customs House is one of the oldest buildings in town, built
by Odense merchant Niels Bager about the year 1590, when Kerteminde
functioned as the port of Odense.
During the Swedish War (1659), the occupying Swedish forces used
the Customs House as their headquarters. The Danish-Dutch naval
fleet attempted to recapture the town and shot cannonballs at the
building, laying it in ruins. It was first rebuilt in 1735, the
date seen on the front of the Customs House, though with two
stories instead of the original three. Until 1800, it was the only
secular masonry building in the town.